Uma has 20 years experience of sharing yoga therapy for women’s health, though she started her yoga career aged four, joining her mum watching Yoga for Health on Thames TV. Her career since has been just as intellectually curious and enquiring, spanning different schools of yoga and yoga therapy including Structural Yoga Therapy, Satyananda Yoga and Iyengar Yoga.
Uma gained her Yoga Biomedical Trust Diploma in Yoga Therapy in 1999, and subsequently trained in Structural Yoga Therapy and Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy, and worked as a yoga therapist with special expertise in women’s health. She is a recognised teacher of the British Wheel of Yoga, and is an International Association of Yoga Therapists’ Certified Yoga Therapist (C-IAYT).
The heart of her personal and therapeutic practice is yoga nidra, which she first encountered at the Satyananda Yoga centre in 1995. She has studied different approaches to the practice in India, New Zealand and the UK, with renowned exponents including Swami Muktidharma, Mukunda Stiles, Satyananda Acharya and Richard Miller.
Uma brings a wealth of experience in yoga for women. She has refined a range of feminine therapeutic applications yoga nidra, including its use for the promotion of fertility, positive birthing, postnatal recovery and conscious menstrual health as a source of spiritual empowerment.
She has taught yoga nidra to hundreds, in environments from nursery schools to airports to geodesic domes at yoga festivals, and shares her knowledge through courses, retreats, CDs, DVDs and books.
- The Celtic School of Yoga: An Asiling for the 21st Century (2015) co-authored with Jack Harrison
- Yoni Shakti: a woman’s guide to power and freedom through yoga and tantra (Yogawords, London 2014)
- Teach Yourself Yoga for Pregnancy and Birth (Hodder Education, London 2010)
- Mother’s Breath: a definitive guide to breath, awareness and meditation practices for mothering (Sitaram and Sons, 2006)
- Feel Confident: Yoga for Living (yoga for self esteem) (Dorling Kinderseley, 2002)
- Online practices videos at
Menopause Yoga Nidra for disturbed sleep and low mood
Find Uma online: